SMILAX OFFICINALIS (ROOT), also known as sarsaparilla root, is a plant native to the Smilacaceae family. The medicinal properties of this plant have been used for centuries in traditional medicine, especially in Central and South America. Sarsaparilla root contains many active ingredients such as saponins, flavonoids, plant sterols and tannins, which may contribute to health benefits.
The action of sarsaparilla root may include:
- Anti-inflammatory properties – the saponins contained in the root can help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Supporting the work of the immune system – sarsaparilla root can affect the immune system, contributing to better defense against infections.
- Cleansing the body – the compounds contained in the root have detoxifying properties, which can help remove toxins from the body.
- Supporting liver and kidney function – the root can help protect and regenerate these organs.
- Supporting the work of the endocrine system – sarsaparilla root can affect hormonal balance, which can be beneficial for reproductive health.
Importance for the diet:
Sarsaparilla root is not a typical component of the diet. Its use is more related to supplementation to support the health and functioning of the body. Due to its medicinal properties, sarsaparilla root can be used in the form of infusions, tinctures, capsules or extracts.
Dosage: depends on the form in which it is used, and on individual needs and health goals. In the case of capsules or extracts, it is recommended to follow the dosage given by the manufacturer on the packaging. For root infusions, you can prepare a drink using about 1 teaspoon of finely crushed root into a glass of boiling water and brew for 10-15 minutes. It is necessary to drink 2-3 cups of infusion per day.