VITAMIN B9 also known as folic acid or folate, is a water-soluble vitamin of the B vitamin group. It is essential for the proper functioning of the body and is involved in many important metabolic processes. Below are the properties and health benefits of vitamin B9 and its sources.
Properties and health benefits of vitamin B9:
Red blood cell production. Participates in the formation of red blood cells, which affects the body’s proper oxygen supply.
DNA and RNA synthesis: Folic acid plays a key role in DNA and RNA synthesis, which is especially important for the developing fetus, so adequate levels are recommended for women planning and during pregnancy.
Supporting nervous system health. Influences the functioning of the nervous system, helping to maintain healthy cognitive and emotional function.
Regulate homocysteine levels. Helps regulate homocysteine levels in the blood, which may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Sources of vitamin B9:
- leafy vegetables (spinach, kale, lettuce)
- legumes (beans, chickpeas, lentils)
- broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts
- whole grain cereal products (bread, pasta, cereal)
- fruits (oranges, bananas, avocados)
- nuts and seeds (walnuts, almonds, flaxseed).
Dosage: 30-40 mg per day.